LITHOGRAPH VIEW OF FREDERICK, MD
SACHSE, E. & CO.
View of Frederick, Maryland. Baltimore, published by John Schofield
Color-printed lithograph, 21 x 31 1/2”. A nice example of a view almost always found in poor condition.
Scarce. Settled by German immigrants in 1745, Frederick is the largest city in western Maryland. In this view taken from the steeple of the newly erected Lutheran Church on Church St., Sachse depicts a bucolic town surrounded by open fields and mountains. As an important transportation hub, Frederick would play an important role in the Civil War within a few yesrs. John Greenleaf Whittier immortalized the Frederick of this era in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: “The clustered spires of Frederick stand -greenwalled in the hills of Maryland.”
Two central panels show the town looking north (top) and south (bottom), the whole surrounded by nineteen vignettes of early important Frederick landmarks, including numerous churches, Frederick College, City Hall and Market, the Court House (1752), View in Patrick St., the new Railroad Station (1854), the Female Seminary (1843), and the Ladies Academy of the Visitation (1853).
Rice, Maryland History in Prints 1743-1900, p. 210
Inventory No. 8115